Blog » Coaching Certifications » Top Eating Disorder Coaching Certification Programs
Top Eating Disorder Coaching Certification Programs
It is no secret that eating disorders have become a rampant problem. According to National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD), 9 percent of the population in the United States will suffer from an eating disorder at some point in their lives.
Eating disorders can take many different forms, but they involve abnormal or unhealthy eating habits.
The most common eating disorders are anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge-eating disorder. But there are also other less common types, such as pica, rumination disorder, and orthorexia Nervosa.
After treatment, coaching is essential for such individuals, and if you’re up for help, there are many top-rated programs for eating disorder coaching certification.
To help narrow down your choices, we have compiled a list of the best certification programs. Let’s discuss it in detail.
- Top Eating Disorder Coaching Certification Programs
- What Is Eating Disorder Coaching?
- What Does An Eating Disorder Coach Do?
- Can Eating Disorder Coaching Be Used On an Ongoing Basis?
- Do You Need Certification To Become An Eating Disorder Coach?
- Benefits Of Eating Disorder Coaching Certifications
- List Of Eating Disorder Coaching Certification Programs
- Are Eating Disorder Coaching Certifications Worth It?
- How Much Does An Eating Disorder Coaching Certification Cost?
What Is Eating Disorder Coaching?
It primarily focuses on helping people with eating disorders better manage their lives, recover from anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, or binge eating disorder, and achieve their goals. Sometimes they are referred to as weight restoration coaches, but the main focus of the profession is not putting on weight but more about restoring life to normal, whatever that means for each person.
What Does An Eating Disorder Coach Do?
Eating disorder coaches work with a range of clients, from those newly diagnosed with eating disorders to those who have been receiving treatment for months or years.
The coach provides emotional support and “real-life” coping skills that complement the therapeutic relationship between the mental health professional and the patient.
For example, if an individual is preparing to leave intensive, hospital-based treatment for anorexia nervosa, he will need help learning how to live without structure. Before leaving treatment, he may still be grappling with distorted thinking. After all, it’s not easy to change lifelong habits overnight. The coach, who has been working with the client throughout his treatment, can help him anticipate and plan for the likely challenges that lie ahead as he determines to take control of his life.
Can Eating Disorder Coaching Be Used On an Ongoing Basis?
Although eating disorder coaches usually work with individuals at various stages of treatment and recovery, professionals have no consensus about how much coaching should be used once a patient has returned home from residential or partial hospitalization treatment.
Some therapists say they want their clients to continue seeing coaches for between one month and six months after leaving intensive care. Others don’t recommend it at all for long periods.
Do You Need Certification To Become An Eating Disorder Coach?
There is no definitive answer to this question. While certification may not be mandatory in all states, it can help you to stand out as a qualified professional and demonstrate your commitment to upholding the highest standards in the field. Certification also provides access to continuing education and networking opportunities.
Benefits Of Eating Disorder Coaching Certifications
There are many benefits to earning an eating disorder coaching certification. Some of the key benefits include:
- Increased knowledge and understanding of eating disorders.
- Improved ability to support those with eating disorders.
- Enhanced skills in communication, problem-solving, and conflict resolution.
- Opportunity to network with other professionals in the field.
- Certification from a reputable and well-recognized organization.
- Access to a wide range of support groups and resources.
- Development of strong leadership skills in the field.
- Enhanced employability and earning potential with advanced-practice professional titles.
List Of Eating Disorder Coaching Certification Programs
There are a number of different programs that offer certification in coaching people with eating disorders. Some of the more notable programs include:
1. Precision Nutrition Level 1
Precision Nutrition has been providing science-based health and eating disorder coaching to help people reach their nutritional goals since 2005. They offer one of the most reputable certifications available, which can give you valuable insight into how food affects your body and what strategies might work best for achieving a healthier lifestyle.
- When you successfully complete this course, you’ll get the prestigious PN Coach Level 1 certificate.
- You will learn how to empower your clients from the very beginning of their journey and all through it. The course is about making better choices in food, daily habits for a healthier lifestyle.
- The course is a self-paced, online learning experience with interactive materials that keep you engaged.
- It takes four and half months to complete the program at your own pace in our supportive community of learners who have been there before.
- To receive your certification, you will have to pass exams with a 75% or higher. There is no deadline for these tests and they can be taken at any time, so take advantage! Click here to learn more now.
2. Institute For Integrative Nutrition
Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN) is the leading provider of health and eating disorder coaching, providing students with college credit and real-world experience. The program is designed to teach you everything from the basics of health care coaching, through providing business advice.
- This program will equip you with the skills needed to become an expert in nutrition science and wellness concepts.
- You’ll learn about coaching methods, theories on business building and marketing that are applicable for entrepreneurs alike.
- Modules range from lectures, tutorials to quizzes. Assignments are available for those who want extra work on a particular topic or just need more of an edge before taking tests.
- There’s also interaction with other students where you can get help from experts and classmates via online mode. Explore more now if it seems good to you.
3. Duke Integrative Medicine
The Duke Integrative Health Coaching Program is a university-based program that requires both the foundation course and certification for students to be eligible. To get a certificate, you can take the course online with some exams conducted at Duke’s Durham N.C. campus.
- The course is designed for those who want to expand their skills and learn how they can work with clients in order to change behavior, promote healthy eating habits.
- The program is designed for those with a minimum of bachelor’s degree in any field who want an online education.
- You will have access to coursework and the ability to earn your NBC-HWC title through interactive hybrid format.
- It combines face-to-face sessions alongside video lectures accessed on demand. Hence, a great program concerning the coverage and you visit their website if you’re willing to give it a try.
4. Dr. Sears Wellness Institute
The Dr. Sears Wellness Institute is a world-class center that offers an entry level program for health coaches with minimal prerequisites to enroll in three specific areas: pregnancy, family life, and senior care.
- The course was designed for people who are not healthcare professionals and it focuses primarily on working with clients and their eating habits and disorders.
- Healthy living starts with the four cornerstones, lifestyle, exercise, attitude and nutrition.
- Dr. Sears believes that they should be an integral part of your daily routine for optimal health so you can enjoy life to its fullest.
- This program will give you a well-rounded and informative education in as little time as possible.
- You can complete the courses online, without any prerequisites for enrollment. So, what are you waiting for? Learn more and get started!
Are Eating Disorder Coaching Certifications Worth It?
Coaching certification programs can be a valuable investment in your career. They can provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to become a successful coach. However, not all coaching certification programs are created equal. It’s essential to do your research before enrolling in a program.
When it comes to eating disorders, people can make huge strides in recovery by working with a qualified coach. The best programs we mentioned offer an array of services tailored to the individual’s needs and situation.
We hope this guide has been helpful for you. If you need more information, feel free to reach out, and we will be happy to help answer any questions you may have.
Eating Disorder Statistics: https://anad.org/eating-disorders-statistics/