Blog » Coaching Certifications » 10 Best Executive Coaching Certification Programs
10 Best Executive Coaching Certification Programs
It takes a special kind of person to be a coach. Becoming an executive coach requires training, especially since coaches tend to deal with busy and important professionals. Executive coaching can be very rewarding, but it isn’t for everyone. If you feel ready to commit to becoming a coach, check out this article on the 10 best executive coaching certification programs that might be your cup of tea.
- 10 Best Executive Coaching Certification Programs
- What Is An Executive Coaching Certification Program?
- What Are The Significances And Benefits Of Having An Executive Coaching Certification?
- 10 Best Executive Coaching Certification Programs
- How Do You Become A Certified Executive Coach?
- What Is The Cost Of Taking An Executive Coaching Certification Program?
- How Do You Choose The Best Executive Coaching Certification Program For Yourself?
- Do You Need A Coaching Certification To Be An Executive Coach?
What Is An Executive Coaching Certification Program?
An executive coaching certification program is a course of study, often made up of multiple courses and ending in some sort of test or assessment. Executive coaching certification programs teach students how to be coaches and give them the tools necessary to deal with top-level professionals.
The idea behind getting an executive coaching certification is that a coach should have a certain level of knowledge and training to work with high-level professionals.
What Are The Significances And Benefits Of Having An Executive Coaching Certification?
There are numerous benefits to having an executive coaching certification. While you can always find any benefits of executive certification courses related articles on the web, here are some of these benefits to give you an idea:
1. An executive coaching certification shows employers that the candidate is serious about their career.
2. Earning an executive coaching certification shows potential clients that the coach has sufficient knowledge to work with them.
3. Being a certified coach also makes you more attractive to potential employers, as it proves your commitment to the field of executive coaching.
4. An executive coaching certification can make you more valuable to your current employer, especially if the company needs a new coach or wants someone with additional skills.
5. When done right, an executive coaching certification program can lead to more employment opportunities.
6. It may help you to create demand for your coaching services.
7. It can improve the quality of your coaching practice and increase the value you bring to the executives that hire you.
8. It will give coaches a professional network, which can lead to new business opportunities or referrals.
9. Earning an executive coaching certification may help you improve your confidence.
10. This certification will make you better at what you do, which could lead to greater client satisfaction.
10 Best Executive Coaching Certification Programs
Executive coaching is a growing field that requires education and training to provide the best services possible. The 10 executive certification programs listed below are some of the best executive coaching certification programs currently available.
- Institute of Executive Coaching and Leadership
This executive coaching certification program is a project of the University of British Columbia in Canada. It is led by Drs. Penelope Baugh and David Gurteen, both experts in different areas related to leadership and executive coaching.
The certificate will be awarded to students who complete 16 half-credit courses across six modules, including advanced business theory, advanced coaching skills, advanced psychology and motivation theory, advanced business practice, consulting skills and advanced coaching methodology. In addition to the courses, students will also complete a personal action learning project as part of their assessment.
- Coach Training Alliance
The Coach Training Alliance offers a professional certification in executive coaching. This certificate will be awarded to students who complete the 19-course modules offered by this training company.
These courses include internal coach training skills, leadership development, business communication and consulting techniques. Students are also required to complete case studies throughout their study to better prepare them for coaching executives. In addition, students must complete a 1,000-hour internship as part of this certification program. The cost for this 547-hour training is $3,995.
- Co-Active Training Institute
This institute was founded by several executive coaches, including Henry Kinney. All courses are taught by other experts in the field of coaching, and all training programs are approved by Dr. Robert Russell. There are 5 different certification levels offered for students who enrol in this training program, which can be completed online or at one of their 10 locations across the United States.
The first certification level is a Core Coach Training program, which will be awarded to students who complete 7 modules and pass the associated assessments. The next 3 levels are intensive training courses for those looking to gain more experience in coaching executives or other areas related to executive coaching. There are also two higher-level certifications available, but these programs are not recognized by the International Coach Federation.
- College of Executive Coaching
This college is a division of Metanoia Institute, a nonprofit organization that offers executive coaching and leadership training. This institution was founded by William Arruda and Drea Zigarmi in 2002. The courses offered at this academy are taught by other experienced coaches and include topics such as management, marketing and technology.
In order to qualify for the coaching certification, students must complete 26 hours of training. Students are also required to take an additional 6 hours in coach ethics and business practices. The program is currently offered in 30 locations across the United States, mostly through community colleges.
- Center for Executive Coaching
The Center for Executive Coaching Certification is a training program for coaches who would like to specialize in executive coaching. This organization has been around since 1991, and it has trained more than 1,000 coaches in the United States and abroad. The programs offered include an intensive 3-day workshop that covers ethics, business practices and coaching skills.
This certificate will be awarded to students who complete 40 hours of coaching practice. There are also other training courses available for those who would like to specialize in other areas, such as leadership or team coaching.
- Academy of Executive Coaching Limited
This academy offers a professional certification in executive coaching that is recognized by the International Coaches Federation. In order to qualify for this course, students must complete 12 modules and pass an assessment.
This training program was created by Dr. Rob Yeung, who has been involved with executive coaching since 1993. It is designed specifically for those looking to work as an executive coach. Dr. Yeung is also the author of “The Art and Science of Coaching Executives”.
- Royal Roads University
The Master of Arts in Leadership for Coaches is a one-year, online program offered by the School for International Studies at Royal Roads University. This degree was created specifically to teach coaches how to work with leaders and develop their skills as a coach. The internship requires students to complete 8 hours of coaching practice. There are no specific prerequisites required for this program, but a bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- The Academies Inc.
The Master Certificate in Leadership Coaching is a program offered by The Academies Inc., which was founded by experienced coaches Brian Tracy and James Malinchak.
This training course was designed for those who would like to develop their leadership coaching skills through online courses, live workshops and personal coaching sessions. It includes modules on organizational psychology, communications, team coaching and more.
- Erickson Solution-Focused Coach Certificate/ACSTH &ACTP
The Solution-Focused Coach Certificate offered by the Erickson School is designed to provide students with the necessary tools to become an effective executive or leadership coach. This training program includes sessions on solution-focused coaching, communication skills and career management.
It is available as an online course for $3,500, but students can choose to attend weekend workshops instead. In addition, this school also offers a coaching certification that can be completed in as little as four weeks.
- IL Executive Coaching Certification/CCE by John Mattone Global, INC
The IL Executive Coaching Certification program was created by John Mattone Global, INC. This coaching certification requires students to complete five areas of study: Self-Mastery, Integrity and Professionalism, Creating a High-Performing Team, Advancing Organizational Culture and Practices and Advanced Skills in Executive Coaching.
In addition to this, students must complete a 4-day workshop and pass an assessment in order to receive their certificate. This program was created for those who would like to develop their leadership and coaching skills.
How Do You Become A Certified Executive Coach?
Despite the range of different online coaching courses and certificates available, becoming an executive coach requires a great deal of commitment. Training programs typically last between one to two years and require both written coursework and workshops.
While you can always look up for any How to become an executive coach related article on the web, below we are summarizing some steps for you to follow in order to get a coaching certificate or training program:
1. Research different coaching organizations
2. Find a coaching program that fits your interests and goals
3. Understand the coursework required to complete the training program
4. Decide whether you would like to earn a certification or a degree
5. Study, practice and complete any prerequisites required for your chosen course
6. Look into scholarships and other financial assistance options
7. Submit your application
8. Attend the training program
9. Complete all coursework and exams associated with your degree or certification
10. Apply for coaching jobs in your city or region of interest
11. Take on clients and get coaching!
What Is The Cost Of Taking An Executive Coaching Certification Program?
The average cost of coaching courses and certification programs vary, depending on the program you choose. Typically, coaching programs require between 100-120 hours of coursework. On top of this, students should factor in time for prerequisites (if any are required), workshops, coaching sessions and assessments.
The cost of all the aspects mentioned above should be considered when trying to determine how much you will spend on a certification program. We also suggest you search on choosing an appropriate executive certification program for yourself and read articles to get a better quote for your coaching program.
How Do You Choose The Best Executive Coaching Certification Program For Yourself?
There are several factors to take into consideration when trying to find the right coach training program for yourself. Below are some aspects that should be considered before choosing a coaching certification program:
1. What is your end goal?
2. What are the course requirements?
3. What is the price of the course?
4. What is the eligibility for financial assistance?
5. What type of support does the coaching program provide?
6. How long will it take to complete the course?
Do You Need A Coaching Certification To Be An Executive Coach?
Not necessary to be an executive coach but yes, it is a requirement in most coaching jobs to get a certification. In order to work as an executive coach, you must have a minimum of five years’ experience in the field and be approved by your local governing body (e.g.: ICF).
Even though having a certificate doesn’t guarantee that you will find employment in your area of expertise, it does show that you have a certain level of experience and knowledge.