Type in Life Coaching Podcast in Google and you will have many suggestions. Most people have heard about life coaching podcasts. But they are not sure what it is and how it works. You may have the same question: will life coaching podcasts improve your business?
This website has some interesting statistics on podcasting from 2018:
- 64 percent of Americans have heard of podcasts. More Americans know what a podcast is rather than who their Vice President is.
- Female podcast listeners grew 14 percent in one year. Between 2017 and 2018, monthly podcast listeners:
- Stayed consistent at 27 percent among males
- Grew from 21 to 24 percent among females
Why are life coaching podcasts so popular?
The question is why are podcasts so popular?
A Forbes blog attempts to answer this question posted on Quora. The author, Carrie Ryan, lists the top reasons podcasts are popular.
The format of podcasts fits into our busy lives, she says.
- Varied subject matter. Is there any topic that interests you? You will find a podcast dedicated to it.
- Time. Do you only have fifteen minutes to spare? You will find a podcast in that time frame.
- Narrative style preferred. Prefer stories? Prefer news? Nonfiction? Science? Politics? You will find a podcast that fits.
“It is information and entertainment, right at our fingertips. Plus, the format of podcasts allows a deeper dive into many subjects. Many of us might not take the time to sit down and read a 20,000-word article. We can listen to that article in bite sized chunks during our commute to work. More so if it’s presented in an entertaining, narrative way.
There is a personal element to it — podcasts create communities. It is a way of finding like-minded people who share your interests. These communities allow a lot of feedback. Listeners create content for the podcast producers.”
This Forbes story explores how podcasting is the new future of storytelling!
Business benefits of life coaching podcasts
The above insight about why podcasts are popular is from the consumer’s point of view.
What does this mean for businesses? Can life coaching podcasts benefit your financial results?
A lot of research is available online. Most claim that podcast consumers are an advertiser’s dream.
It is no surprise that advertising is so effective with podcast consumers. As they say, a brand has the audience’s ear when it comes to selling a product during a podcast. This BBC article suggests that podcasts create a sense of intimacy with the listener. This leads to greater trust among listeners.
How many podcast users are we talking about? According to Statista, 67 million monthly listeners tuned in to podcasts in 2017. It is due to increase to 132 million in the US by 2022.
This article mentions several companies that are turning podcasting into a profitable business. Podcasting aggregators such as PodcastAlley.com now feature advertisements. The Great Australian Pods lists popular podcasts in Australia. Television networks have gotten into the action, too. National Public Radio and the BBC have started podcasting some of their shows. Corporations such as Heineken and General Motors have created their own podcasts.
An article in Entrepreneur talks about why podcast is the next big thing in marketing. The shift to mobile is one of the biggest reasons for the rise in podcast popularity.
“Consumers are moving away from desktops and using mobile devices more often. And even search engines are changing their algorithms to give mobile the priority. So it is important for businesses to focus on optimizing for mobile platforms. With mobiles, it has become easier to access, download and listen to podcasts on the go.”
There is an interesting quote. Podcasts inspire conversation, while blogs tend to provoke thought, says the author.
“Podcasts help to build brand recognition, authority and trust among consumers. They allow for conversations related to specific industries. Further, they get the word out about the podcaster’s brand to listeners who may have not heard of it before.”
What are life coaching podcasts?
What is a life coaching podcast? How does it work? Who are the primary listeners?
Did you have these questions but didn’t know who to ask? Well, here is the answer.
Podcasting is a free service. It allows users to listen or save audio files from a podcasting website. They can play these on their own computers or phones. The word podcast is a combination of “iPod” and “broadcasting”, according to this website. Unlike the radio, users do not have to tune in to a particular broadcast. Instead, they download the podcast or subscribe via an RSS feed. This downloads the podcast to their computers. The website also simplifies the process for new users.
How can you listen to a life coaching podcast?
To listen to a podcast, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to a podcasting site.
- Click on the hyperlink for each podcast you want. You can listen on your computer (Windows, Mac or Linux). Or you can download the podcast to your portable media player.
- You can also subscribe to one or more RSS feeds. Your podcasting software will check your interest and save content matching your playlist. When you plug in your phone, it updates with the latest content.
- Check iTunes Store, The Podcast Network or The Podcast Directory for interesting podcasts.
- Type in life coaching podcast on Google. You can find several podcasts to start!
How can you create your own life coaching podcast?
Once you decide what you want to talk about, setting up your own life coaching podcast is easy.
You will need a computer to record and create your own life coaching podcast. Most blogs will tell you to talk about anything in your life coaching podcast. This may include health, wellness, finance, personal improvement, music, sports and philosophy.
I recommend that you create a script for what you want to talk about in your life coaching podcast. Treat this in the same way that you would want to communicate through your website or your blog. A life coaching podcast is an audible blog. I have discussed everything related to life coaching website in an earlier blog. You may apply the same principles in your life coaching podcast.
A life coaching podcast is a platform to reach out to a target audience and tell them about your practice. Why not use it to get most results? You can do so by deciding on a few topics that you want to talk about in your life coaching podcasts. Here are some other tips to market your coaching business from my earlier blog.
Before you start recording, make a list of things you want to talk about in your life coaching podcast. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to prepare for your life coaching podcast.
- Topic: You can create a separate life coaching podcast for each topic. Topics can range from relationship management, self motivation to dealing with transformation. You may consider a topic that is of concern for most of your clients.
- Format: Make a list of common questions your clients usually ask. Common questions begin:
- How can I achieve …
- What can I do to stop …
- What steps will help me …
Once you have a question, try and answer the question in your life coaching podcast. Imagine that the client is sitting in front of you and answer the question. Leave enough common examples for the wider audience to relate to what you are saying. At the same time, refrain from giving away all your trade secrets!
- Advertise: Talk about your USPs. What will a client gain by signing up with you? If you give away all your trade secrets, they will no longer sign you for longer engagements. Your goal is to show them how you can help to bring about behavioural changes.
- Respond: Read up on how you can install a feedburner link. This will give you updates about any new comments on your life coaching podcast. You can find this link at Feed Burner. Catering to listeners’ requests creates loyal brand ambassadors.
Your script is now ready! The next step is to record your life coaching podcast.
How can you record your life coaching podcast?
This website mentions how to record a life coaching podcast. Here’s how the process works:
- Plug in a microphone to your computer
- Install an audio recorder for Windows, Mac or Linux
- Create an audio file by recording a voice note, song or music. Save it on your computer.
- Upload the audio file to one of the podcasting sites. FeedForAll offers a tutorial on how to upload a file.
After recording your life coaching podcast, you will want to promote it.
Some useful software that will help you create and listen to life coaching podcasts:
- FeedForAll – Create, edit and publish podcasts
- AudioBlogger – Use any phone to post audio to your blog
- Replay Radio – Turn radio broadcasts into podcasts
Video podcasters, filmmakers, vloggers (video bloggers) have turned to video podcasting. Video podcasting is helping build businesses, especially in the marketing and sales sectors.
The rise of audio and video podcasters has allowed interesting content at very low cost. There is no longer the need to hire expensive studios and sophisticated equipment! Innovative marketing is now the way to go for new coaches looking to enter a competitive market. Here is why you should add podcasting to your marketing strategy.
Which are the best life coaching podcasts online?
There are several life coaching podcasts online. A search on Quora has provided some links in this thread.
A search on Google throws up the following recommendations here:
Hosted by Lewis Howes, this podcast is full of inspirational stories of accomplishments. Stories are about business tycoons, athletes and celebrities. Lewis also overcame abuse, a broken family life and other personal challenges. This podcast releases 3 times weekly. This podcast offers conversations with people who are overcoming their own personal challenges. You don’t want to miss it!
Popular episodes include:
- Rachel Hollis: How to Build Confidence, Believe in Yourself and Become Your Best Self
- Kobe Bryant: Mamba Mentality and The Mind of a Champion
Hosted by Gary Vaynerchuk, this podcast is popular with entrepreneurs. There are interviews and marketing ideas from thinkers and celebrities. Topics include 6 Tips For Crushing the Sales Game or Drop One Loser Friend. The podcast featured celebrity guests actress Jessica Alba and NASCAR driver Kyle Busch. It was in the Top Podcast Episodes section of Apple Podcasts.
Author, entrepreneur and thought-leader Tim Ferriss hosts The Tim Ferriss Show. His best-selling book was The 4-Hour Workweek. This weekly business podcast follows Tim as he interviews unique “world-class performers”. He provides a behind-the-scenes look at the things audiences need to excel in.
The podcast has featured actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt, comedian Bill Burr and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Some interesting episodes include:
This podcast is a part of the National Public Radio (NPR) family of podcasts. Falling under the Science & Medicine category, this is a must-listen. Listeners get a scientific look into the patterns and behaviours of people and why we do what we do.
Hidden Brain helps curious people understand the world using science and storytelling. It reveals the unconscious patterns that drive human behaviour.
Popular episodes include:
This podcast focuses on helping people to become more effective in their relationships. Popular topics include:
- Why Vulnerability Leads to Connection
- What Matters Most in a Difficult Conversation
- How to Improve Your Workplace Communication
- The Art of Body Language
This is the podcast for you if you need motivation on improving your financial state. Dave Ramsey is a well-known name in the business and finance worlds. Dial in for tips on debt elimination and wealth building. Dave covers a variety of topics like:
- How to Kick-Start Your Financial Goals at Any Age
- How to Stop Worrying About Money for Good
- Challenging Items on Your Credit Bureau Report
- Don’t Settle for Doing Just “Okay” With Money
Cash in on this podcast!
Listen to Oprah’s interviews with thought-leaders, authors and wellness experts. Check out popular episodes like:
- Amy Schumer: A Modern-Day Warrior Woman
- Dr. Maya Angelou, Part 1: 9 Words that Changed Her Life
- Eckhart Tolle: Being in the Now
- Michelle Obama: Becoming, Part 1
Her raw and authentic conversations will help you see you’re not alone in your challenges!
Dial in to this podcast if you are a leader in your organization looking to grow. As a leader, it can be hard to maintain focus, effectiveness and courage. The mission of this podcast is simple: Win at Work. Succeed at Life. Lead with Confidence.
Trending titles include:
- The Mindset That Will Limit Your Future
- How Vision Affects Productivity
- 5 Strategies For Building New Habits
- How To Discern Your Calling
- Why You Need A Life Plan Now
TED Talks. We all know them. We all love them. Gritty, real, approachable content helps us remember we’re all human and we’re all in this together. What could be better? How about getting a daily dose?
Hear ideas on every subject imaginable from the world’s leading thinkers and doers. This collection of talks is also available in video format.
Check out episodes like:
- 3 Kinds of Bias That Shape Your Worldview
- There’s More To Life Than Being Happy
- The Gift and Power Of Emotional Courage
- How Boredom Can Lead To Your Most Brilliant Ideas
- The Revolutionary Power of Diverse Thought
You are sure to get your daily dose of motivation!
Ok, now here’s a motivational podcast if you want to improve your business, relationship, health or finance. Each episode features an industry “mastermind” to influence your life. Robbins poses deep questions like:
Communication coach, writer and speaker Bronwyn Saglimbeni hosts this podcast. It explores what entrepreneurs and leaders do to improve their communication.
Bronwyn’s helps people communicate in a way that breaks through the static of our everyday lives.
Bronwyn’s real-talk approach and often humorous candidness is a welcome change.
Popular episodes include:
It’s like a 20-minute talk with the best personal coach you can find!
Host Amanda Bucci aims “to dive deeper into health, fitness, mindset, and entrepreneurship…”
Amanda was successful in the fitness world. Then she decided to take the plunge into the entrepreneurial space and hasn’t looked back. She offers FOCA and Influencer training programs for fitness and business leaders. Her weekly podcast features leaders like Gary Vee, Aubrey Marcus and Billy Gene.
Her episodes include:
Tune in to her advice on how to be an influencer in today’s world!
Statistics about the life coaching podcast industry
I have quoted a few statistics about the podcasting industry from 2018 earlier. Here are some more. For details about the podcasting industry, look at this website:
- 44 percent of Americans have listened to a podcast. That’s 124 million people, and up 12 million in one year. That’s a lot of podcast listeners!
- 26 percent of Americans listen to podcasts monthly. That’s up from 24 percent in 2017, and represents 73 million people. For context, 21 percent of Americans are Catholic.
- One-third of Americans aged 25 to 54 listen to podcasts monthly. Among people in the United States aged 55 and over, 13 percent listen monthly. There’s still a lot of growth potential within this older segment.
- Listeners are less loyal on a per-episode basis. Last year, 85 percent of listeners said they consumed “all” or “most” of each episode they downloaded. This year, that rate diminished to 80 percent. This is not a surprise, given the increase in number of shows listened to (from five to seven). Fans are downloading more, but listening to less of each episode.
- 23 percent of Americans have listened to podcasts in the car. The number of Americans who do so moved from 19 percent to 23 percent in one year. The use of mobile devices is partly responsible for this. New vehicles enabling streaming audio and podcasting integration is also a cause.