Blog » Becoming a Coach » How To Become A Personal Coach: The 8 Steps For Success
How To Become A Personal Coach
The 8 Steps For Success
Becoming a professional personal coach can help you earn money easily. But it can be difficult to become a professional coach if you are new to the field. The most important thing to know about professional coaching is that it never goes out of style.
Another important factor about professional coaching is that it easily brings $1 billion in revenue to the business industry.
There are almost 18k personal coaching centers in the US and each one of them is earning high revenues. Between 2014 to 2019, there was a steady annual growth of personal coaching by almost 2.2%.
Many people opt for the life coaching profession to help others who face issues. They are not only good listeners and motivational speakers, but they are also entrepreneurs. By becoming a personal coach, you not only become a teacher but also a marketer, salesperson, leader and network.
- How To Become A Personal CoachThe 8 Steps For Success
- What Is A Personal Coach?
- 8 Steps To Become A Personal Coach
- Step 1: Discover Your Personal Coaching Niche
- Step 2: Conduct Thorough Research And Find The Perfect Certification Program
- Step 3: Legalize Your Coaching Business
- Step 4: Create A Portfolio Of Your Work To Showcase Your Skills And Experience
- Step 5: Strategize How You Are Going To Market Yourself As A Personal Coach
- Step 6: Find Out What’ll Be The Most Appropriate Price That You Can Charge As A Personal Coach
- Step 7: Start Your Personal Branding Through Various Means Such As Social Media
- Step 8: Get Started With The Personal Coaching Business And Start Taking Clients
- Frequently asked questions
What Is A Personal Coach?
Personal relationships and personal growth, business, career, finances, and health are all areas in which coaches work with clients. They help the students to focus on the things that they are lacking and need extra help with.
Life coaches or you may say personal coaches work with their clients to improve their careers, relationships, and things that occur in daily lives. Life coaches can also guide you and assist you in clarifying your goals, also help in identifying the obstacles that are holding you back, and they also help the students in developing strategies to overcome each obstacle.
8 Steps To Become A Personal Coach
If you want to become a personal coach, then there are a few steps that you will need to follow and these are no doubt essential to know. By following these 8 steps, you can become a motivation for others and become a successful mentor in your field.
Step 1: Discover Your Personal Coaching Niche
The first and most important thing you must have to know is what your expert area is or you may say your niche. There are different things that you will do to know how to discover your niche.
To know a niche or be skilful at it, you must be willing to adapt to changes or new things. Make sure to work with an analogy of a picture that will paint hundreds of words. The next thing to do is give more and more time so you must know how the specific course will work. After giving time and deciding on the niche, try to make everything perfect and give it more time.
Step 2: Conduct Thorough Research And Find The Perfect Certification Program
Here is the second step that you must do is doing certification that will help you become a more authentic personal coach. Make sure to check the goals that certification will help you achieve. The first and most important thing to know is why you want to seek the certificate and whether it will help you or not.
To choose a perfect certification make sure that it is exactly to your interest area and that it will help you grow. Then make sure to check the reviews. If you already have certificates, then make sure if there are new changes added or required. If yes, then repeat the course and learn new things about personal coaching.
Step 3: Legalize Your Coaching Business
To make everything go smoothly, make sure that everything in your business is legal and transparent. It will help people to trust you and go for your coaching. You must try to legalize it by providing lifetime mentorship to people and helping them train through webinars and other essentials.
Webinars are the best and recommended ones as they will help others think that your platform is legit and there are no issues taking your coaching.
Step 4: Create A Portfolio Of Your Work To Showcase Your Skills And Experience
No matter what type of business you are going to start, make sure to create a professional portfolio first. It will help you showcase your skills and get more experience. You can easily create a portfolio by following simple steps.
First, you will need to collect examples of the work. They also make sure that you have added images of yourself while working. Also, make sure to add the info about your successful projects and the companies with whom you have worked with.
If you have received any correspondence in the past, then make sure to add it to your portfolio. Also, make sure to demonstrate the skills that you have and create concise documents as well that must be well organized.
Step 5: Strategize How You Are Going To Market Yourself As A Personal Coach
The next step to take in personal coaching is to try to make strategies so you can market yourself as a personal coach easily and efficiently. Below are the steps that you must follow to strategize everything:
- The first and most important thing to remember is defining your target audience. You must know which people will be interested in taking your course and who will not be interested in taking the courses from you.
- The next thing to do is make sure that you also have decided the fee and how many free sessions are there that you will give. Here is a tip: make sure to give free sessions to enroll more people.
- The third step to take is making sure that the package you are offering is affordable. Make sure that your package covers all the details that are needed and are essential.
- To advertise and market your personal coach business, make sure to attend the workshops and also other events. It will help you a lot to get a more relevant audience.
- Another important step to take is making sure that you stand out from others. Add some differences from the competitors. It will help you get a good reputation and rank very soon. Add some attractive packages that your competitors are not offering.
- Organize events at local levels and online webinars. The more seminars and webinars you will do, the more people will approach and you can also easily spread the word to others in this form.
- Use social media tools to establish a strong and good presence. Add more and more people to your accounts so you can advertise and market to other people and gain the goal of attracting more and more audiences.
Step 6: Find Out What’ll Be The Most Appropriate Price That You Can Charge As A Personal Coach
The charges and fees are the other important things that you must select. Do not go for too high or too low a price. Too high a price will not help you get more people and if the charges are too less you will be unable to get more compensation.
Most of the time, personal coaches charge on an hourly basis. As a new coach, you can easily start the session from almost $50 to $70. Similarly, if you have gained good experience, you can easily charge up to $200 for each session. You can also offer deals and other packages to students that will help them get more flexible options.
Step 7: Start Your Personal Branding Through Various Means Such As Social Media
The next important thing to do is personal branding. Now, you must focus on personal branding. It is social media that have brought about these changes. Below are the steps to follow to do personal branding:
- Define the goals of branding first
- Make sure to define the expert areas
- Try to add a catchy and strong brand statement
- Try adding diversity so you can attract more people
- Make sure to add Personal Branding Strategy by engaging your audience on social media
- Be more consistent on all social accounts
- Try to build and share good content
- Update the profile links
Step 8: Get Started With The Personal Coaching Business And Start Taking Clients
You can get started by using many platforms. You can get more and more clients if you go for the following approaches:
- Guest blogging will help the audience know about you more
- Social media accounts will help get engaged with the audience quickly
- Podcasting is another good option where people will listen to you and hear what is going on
- You must also join Online Communities
- An email Marketing strategy will help get more authentic clients
Becoming a personal coach can be hectic if you do not know what steps are essential to take. To make it easier, you must follow the step-to-step guide as it will help you a lot in getting more audience.
Frequently asked questions
Is there a high demand for a personal coach?
According to the International Coaching Federation, the number of coaches worldwide has increased by 33% since 2015, from 53,300 to 71,000. According to the BLS, job growth in the field will be 11 per cent through 2030, which is higher than the national average for all careers.
How can one start a personal coaching business?
To become a personal coach, you will need to follow the steps that are given below and as a result, you can become an expert in your area. The things essential to do are:
1.Name Your Company.
2.Develop a Business Plan.
3.Select a Business Structure.
4.Determine Your Company’s Costs.
5.Promote Your Life Coaching Company.
6.Purchase Life Coaching Business Equipment.
7.Open Financial Accounts and Register Your Business
By following the steps above, you can become an expert personal coach and achieve the goals that you have set.
What qualifications do we need to be a personal coach?
To become a life coach, you do not need a specific degree or education. However, a background in psychology, education, wellness, or even business, as well as a coaching certification from an accredited training programme, can increase your credibility and marketability as a coach.